Best Over The Counter Teeth Whitening
If you want to quickly and effectively whiten your teeth without spending too much money, you’ve probably chosen to head out and get yourself some whitening products over the counter. Don’t be surprised to find dozens of different products to choose from. Before picking out the best over the counter teeth whitening product, assess your current dental condition. Of course, you’ll need to consult a dentist to get an idea of what’s going on inside your mouth. Using that information, you can shop for over the counter whiteners.
Best teeth whitening methods
- Toothpastes – Some whitening pastes have gentle chemical and polishing agents that remove only surface stains. Specialized over the counter toothpastes contain hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide that lighten the color deep inside teeth and alter the shade by one or two.
- Strips & Gels – Peroxide based gels are clear and applied directly to teeth using a toothbrush. Follow product directions exactly because depending on the strength of the peroxide you’ll be asked to apply it differently. Result take anywhere from a few days to a few months. Strips, on the other hand, are extremely thin and come coated with peroxide based whitening gel. Apply twice a day for half an hour and repeat for 14 days. Same results as gels above.
- Rinses – In addition to breath freshening, these help fight plaque and gum disease. According to manufacturers, it may take 12 weeks to see results. Swish in mouth for one minute twice a day. Because rinses aren’t in contact with your teeth as long as other products, it’s estimated that their effectiveness is not as great as other over the counter teeth whitening products.
- Trays – A mouth-guard design serves as a tray on which the gel whitening solution is applied. The solution contains a peroxide-bleaching agent. The time required for the tray to remain pressed against your teeth can be anywhere from two hours to a whole night. Use everyday for four weeks, perhaps longer. This depends on the required level of whitening and degree of teeth discoloration.
Note: Dentist approved in-office treatments are far more effective and less risky that over the counter whitening measures. Do not let your desperation determine the product. Choose carefully. This is technically the inside of your body, namely your mouth, so be careful when shopping for the best over the counter teeth whitening.
Latest posts by Sandra (see all)
- What Is Whitening Cream - 16 March 2015
- What are dental implants? - 14 March 2015
- The Best Methods For Teeth Cleaning - 12 March 2015